Artificial Intelligence is a branch of Computer Science and Engineering whose aim is designing and manufacturing intelligent machinery and programs. Intelligence can be defined as the ability of an agent to achieve a certain purpose in the surrounding world after having a perception of it. The scope of application of this science and its importance in diverse human activities from his everyday life to profound and challenging researches and explorations is ever on the rise. With the aim of training experts in Artificial Intelligence and furthering mastery over branches and spheres of this science, an MSc program in Artificial Intelligence (in two specialized subdisciplines of Intelligent Systems and Science Engineering) was established in 2004 in two different plans of “course and research” and “course only” .
The first group of MSc students of Computer Engineering in the subdiscipline of Artificial Intelligence Engineering were admitted to the department in 2004 and the first group of PhD students of Computer Engineering in the subdiscipline of Artificial Intelligence Engineering were admitted to the department in 2008.
Aims and Scopes:
The MSc program in Artificial Intelligence Engineering includes a variety of theoretical, practical and research-based courses which cover fields like environment perception, high-level processing of input data, learning from inputs, identifying and distinguishing patterns, optimized and distributed decision-makings, soft functioning in real environments and effective inference in complex and changeable surroundings . This program aims at training qualified experts who, in addition to having mastery over theoretical foundations of this sphere of science and the most recent and successful scientific approaches recognized internationally, are capable of applying these principles in practice and using modern tools and techniques. The graduates of this program are expected to have gained the creativity needed for resolving theoretical and practical problems and limitations existing in the current approaches to this sphere of science. They are also hoped to play a significant role in developing the frontiers of science.
Roles and Abilities
The graduates of this program will have the following skills and abilities:
1. Modeling and implementing intelligent algorithms in different scales and various applications
2. Identifying appropriate approaches in dealing with various issues in the field of artificial intelligence
3. Designing, analyzing and comparing different intelligent models and algorithms in terms of their accuracy, speed, reliability, and robustness against environmental changes, and their adaptability to the characteristics of problems in a given domain
4. Adding intelligent features to existing computer systems in industries, offices, scientific and research institutions, as well as in the field of ICT
5. Offering new approaches in adding intelligent features to systems for various applications, and introducing new applications for artificial intelligence methods and models
6. Working as a team to produce large-scale intelligent systems
Necessity and Importance
Nowadays intelligent methods, algorithms and models have gained a remarkable significance and penetration in most industries and technologies which are related to computers and information and communications technology (ICT). Therefore it is necessary to train experts in Artificial Intelligence who can fulfill the country’s need to this interesting and growing field. Paying attention to the following items makes the importance and necessity of training qualified experts in Artificial Intelligence more obvious:
1. Developments in intelligent methods in the field of Internet, social networks, e-commerce, computer networks, and other areas of ICT
2. The increasing penetration of intelligent methods in industrial and administrative automations, biomedical engineering, military and defense industries such as robotics, automated detection in production lines in factories, diseases diagnosis using intelligent techniques and also intelligent weapons
3. The potential for achieving remarkable progresses and excelling other countries thanks to the recent emergence of the discipline and the presence of outstanding talents among the students of the country